Thursday, March 3, 2011

Summer Smocking

I'm getting started on smocking for Grant's summer clothes. I just finished a new pattern, Jeffrey from Children's Corner and had to quickly make a second outfit so I wouldn't forget what I learned the first time around. These are the first outfits I've made with a smocked insert in a john john pattern. It was easier than I was expecting it to be, once I got started on the project.

The light blue geometric john john was the first outfit I made, with a smocking design I came up with when my original plan to smock baby ducks didn't fit onto the insert correctly. There is always Plan B in sewing at my house!

The monkey john john was project #2. (I didn't add the socks on the monkey as the smocking plate shows, I liked them better plain.) I am pleased with how they turned out - it was the first time I made my own piping and used snaps to close the crotch. (I've used buttonholes in the past or just used a finished seam for Jack's outfits after he was potty trained.)




















Both outfits are 6 months and are fully lined. Honestly, it blows my mind when I see these finished outfits! I never would have thought a couple years ago that I would be able to sew, smock or put something together like this. If I can do it, so can you!!

Now I just can't wait to dress him up in these sweet summer clothes!

3 comments:

Sarah Broadus said...

thats awesome. you have so much talent!!!

Pamela said...

Love how the monkeys turned out! cute cute!Still waiting on my lesson btw:)

Sonia Wells said...

Awesome!!! I absolutely adore them!!!