Friday, June 26, 2009

a little randomness

I haven't posted all week. Obviously. I really haven't had much to discuss or document. It's been hot and we've been...well, just here.

This week:

  • I've been exercising and the kids have been playing every single morning.
  • I've cooked real dinners every single night.
  • I have finished smocking another dress for JA.
  • I'm caught up on laundry.
  • My house is relatively clean.
  • I've cleaned out and rearranged three kitchen cabinets and my big pantry.
  • Jordan Ann and I have colored just about every single picture in her Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony coloring books.
  • Jack has carried around three or four "mens" everywhere we have been.

With the exception of a few minor meltdowns and sessions in the "no no corner", it's been a wonderful week at our house.

Just to follow up on the potty training (as if you care, but I'm pretending you do). I'm almost embarrassed to admit how well it's going. It's been a breeze. Today's his second day of big boy underwear all day with no accidents. Except for naptime and nighttime, he's been dry. Can I tell you how much easier this has been than potty training JA? Two completely different children, to say the least.

We spent the afternoon yesterday outside playing in the water. I sat and watched my two children in an imaginary world of play. It was heavenly. Somehow Jordan Ann talked Jack into sitting in her lap in our "big red car". Then she drove him around, asking an imaginary lady about tickets and getting directions on where to park. There was so much discussion, thank you's and byebye's, I could hardly keep up with whether they were coming or going. Such fun play!

While they did their thing, I sat in the sun and took advantage of the sprinkler beach ball. It simultaneously kept me cool and watered my flowers. Plus, my toenails (OPI Don't Be Koi With Me, the very best summer color ever!) were the exact same color as the orange in the beach ball. I was very pleased.

About Michael Jackson. I've never really been a huge fan. But hearing the songs played on every single channel last night, I realized that his music is really a soundtrack for my life, in an unintentional and very odd sort of way. Thriller reminds me of first grade. That Pepsi commercial when his hair caught on fire was in fifth grade, I think. Black and White, that was junior high. The song and video with Lisa Marie? Oh, the memories from my freshman year of college. And, why do I remember this --- The interview of him in the red/pink shirt talking about how he was innocent from every allegation against him reminds me of one Saturday when I spent the day scrubbing tubs and toilets in the first house Wes and I lived in. He's made an impact no matter how you look at it.

Wes and I were commenting last night about the LACK of news on (we're very much news junkies around here!). I'm thinking that Jon and Kate must be thrilled that they're no longer making headlines anymore.

Which brings me to my next topic. That show. I'm so sad for that family. I have been watching the show since the beginning and feel like they are my friends, in a very stalkerish sort of way. I have noticed Jon wearing tshirts with scripture, and seen notecards taped to their kitchen cabinets with verses, almost like memory verses. What an opportunity they have! I was just hoping that this week's big announcement was going to be that their marriage was worth fighting for and that they would be turning off the cameras to focus on what was best for their children. It's my opinion that continuing on in the path they are going is NOT what's best for their kids, despite the hundreds of times they say it to themselves, each other and the cameras. I'm done watching them. And so sad for them.

And what's worse? That people will continue to tune into this train wreck of a show and ratings will continue to drive their decisions. I just wish they would turn their backs on the cash so that they can better the lives of those eight children in ways that matter.

So there you go. Bits of randomness for today.

No comments: