Monday, May 25, 2009

A Simple "I'm Sorry" Would Have Been Sufficient

Jack is going through a "hitting" phase. He'll hit anything or anybody (especially me) when he doesn't want to do something. It's very humbling to be smacked by a two-year-old.

I'm trying to nip the behavior in the bud before it gets out of hand. It's been a challenge so far. But I'm perservering.

Take last night for example.

I was in the process of putting him to bed. He needed his bees (blankets), which were in the den. So I let him leave his room and told him to come right back. He usually is pretty good at this. But last night he decided he would dilly-dally around. I went to look for him and he was sitting right NEXT to the bees, smiling at me. What a charmer.

I calmly walked over, picked him up and headed for his room. UNTIL. I felt a bare-handed, two-year-old, slap across my neck and chest. It stung so bad, I almost screamed.

Immediately, he went to his no-no corner. I left him there for a few minutes. Then I went back to "discuss the behavior" (as much as possible with a two-year-old) and for sorry's and hugs.

I turned the corner and he quickly pulled his finger out of his nose. He said, "Here you go, mommy" and held his finger up the air. After I looked closer, I saw that he was giving me a booger.

Thanks, Jack. A slap and a booger. Just what I always wanted.

2 comments:

odomfamilyfun said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of boys my friend :)

Wilson said...

How humbling, huh? I can only imagine what I have to look forward to as my little man gets older. Boys will be boys. :)